IT Addict, "High Tech made Simple" / This blog has moved to www.jeremyfain.net

Thursday, June 22, 2006

eBay eventually integrates with Skype for good

So there we are. eBay eventually issued a press release stating clearly how it was intending to make Skype fit in its universe (eBay + Paypal, and soon Fon?): buyers will be able to contact sellers through Skype when considering buying an expensive item (like jewels, a piece of Art, a car, a sockets company, etc.). This, according to eBay, should help close deals faster, enhancing trust and confidence in both parties´ abilities to pursue the transaction.

Though I cannot come up right now with a smarter idea to integrate eBay & Skype, I believe the move (to be probably extended to all items soon) is too easy to be value creative - especially for sellers. The whole point of eBay relies on its asynchronous properties: I can sell my books while sleeping! And I definitely don´t want to waste my time chatting with every single eBay user, or I´d rather go to the flea market and liquidate everything.

I´m all the more convinced that eBay purchased Skype - for a mere $bn 2.6, just to prevent someone else (Google? Yahoo? Microsoft?) from buying the Skype technology and voIP market share out. And such a way of playing with one´s shareholders money, to my mind, jeopardizes the executive team´s credibility.

1 Comments:

  • Dear Jedi,

    Your raise two extremely interesting questions I´ll make sure I think about in the coming days. Many thanks.

    And "May the force be with you"!

    By Blogger Jeremy Fain, at 6/23/2006 03:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home